Christmas has always been a time for music. From atmospheric carols by candlelight, to warbling along to East 17 in between sips of prosecco – with the festive season comes concerts, choirs, gigs and parties.
Perhaps the most quintessential of all Christmas activities, an evening of carols in one of Norwich’s historic venues will certainly get you feeling festive if you don’t already. Of course, Norwich’s magnificent Cathedral puts on a truly beautiful show at Christmas. Their ‘Christmas with Norwich Cathedral Choir’ is always a sell-out, so get your tickets early – it’s a really special event, and is on the 14th of December this year.
You can also see Norwich Cathedral Choir at OPEN on the 12th of December, where they will performing in the stunning Banking Hall, and there will be craft and gift stalls to peruse.
Other Christmas Concerts around the city:
- 3rd December – The Forum – Carols with the King
- 12th December – St John the Baptist Church – UEA Choir
- 16th December – Norwich church of St Peter Mancroft – A Festival of Lessons and Carols
- 18th December – St Andrew’s Hall – Norwich Philharmonic
Norwich’s programme of classical music is as extensive as it is impressive. The city is home to the Norwich Philharmonic as well as Norwich Baroque, and the renowned Britten Sinfonia also have a residency here. There are some brilliant events on throughout the year, but here are some highlights over Christmas:
- 23rd November – St Andrew’s Hall – Britten Sinfonia: At Lunch One: St Andrew’s Hall
- 25th November – Theatre Royal – King’s Consort: Odes to St Cecilia
- 2nd December – Theatre Royal – Czech National Symphony Orchestra
- 8th December – St Andrew’s Hall – Norwich Phil: American Night
- 22nd December – Norwich Cathedral – Norwich Baroque: Messiah by candlelight
Gigs, bands, and DJs
As well as music in performance venues such as Norwich Arts Centre, OPEN and UEA (to name a few), you can also catch live music in many of the pubs and bars here. Try Bedford’s, The Reindeer, Walnut Tree Shades, The Playhouse Bar and Platform 12 as a start. There’s no better way to spend a winter evening with friends in the city.
Keep an eye on our What’s On events pages over Christmas for the latest music events happening across venues all over Norwich.
It was already great, but now Norwich’s bowling-alley-with-a-bar-and-restaurant has only gone and launched a karaoke booth. The Bowling House is now home to a spangling new private karaoke booth suitable for up to 10 people, and you can hire it out for all your East 17 and 80’s duet needs!
Find out what else is on over Christmas at visitnorwich.co.uk
Enter our Christmas Festive Faces competition: you might win your face on Norwich Castle plus an exclusive city break for two!
Share your festive favourite on social media using #myfestivefavourite!